About Kerala Media Academy
- To promote and co-ordinate study and research in the field of journalism.
- To organize or help organize training courses, workshops, seminars, exhibitions and consultancy services in association with working journalists, newspaper management and universities.
- To publish books, periodicals, monographs and research papers.
- To co-operate with academic institutions and organizations in the formulation of syllabus for teaching journalism
- To institute awards to honour individuals, institutions and organizations in recognition of meritorious services rendered and to grant fellowships for conducting advanced study and research in journalism.
- 1979: June – First General Council meeting
- 1980: 8th June – Foundation stone laid for the Academy by Shri E.K.Nayanar, Hon. Chief Minister of Kerala
- 1985: 24th May – Inauguration of Press Academy building by Shri. K.Karunakaran, Hon. Chief Minister of Kerala
- 1986: Journalism course started, Institute of Communication starts functioning
- 1993: Public Relations and Advertising course started.
- 2011: Certificate course in Non-linear Video Editing started
- 2011: Certificate course in Communicative English started
- 2012: April -Launches bi lingual monthly magazine MEDIA- Inaugurated by P. Govinda Pillai
- 2012: February- www.pressacademy.org relaunched in new design and content
- 2013: September – Television Journalism course started
- 2014: Kerala Press Academy upgraded and renamed as Kerala Media Academy
The academy is administered by a General Council and an Executive Council comprising of working journalists, media owners, and Government representatives constituted by the Government of Kerala.